Lots of news to share, so the Friday Five is back!
1. Today the Disney Parks Blog announced that they’ll again be kicking off the summer travel season with a 24-hour Disney Parks event. From Friday, May 23, 2014 at 6 a.m. until Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 6 a.m. (local time) guests are invited to “Rock Your Disney Side” at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World and at both Disneyland and California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort. Guests are being encouraged to dress up as their favorite Disney hero or villain, and the “140 Character” announcement of the event on Twitter suggests we’ll see lots of meet and greet opportunities – sort of a blending of the Friday the 13th Villains event at Hollywood Studios this past year and the 24-hour Disney Day. Are you making plans for Memorial Day weekend at a Disney park?
2. We have an official start date for the new Festival of Fantasy daytime parade in the Magic Kingdom. The parade will make its official debut on Sunday, March 9 – and the photos and videos that have been released so far look amazing. Clearly, Disney is expecting the parade to be popular, as we’re already seeing reports that reserved viewing areas for Festival of Fantasy are available via Fastpass+ for at least some dates. Do you usually make time to watch Disney afternoon parades? Will you make a special effort to see this new parade?
3. With remarkably little fanfare or plans leaked out in advance, Walt Disney World announced a major reconfiguration of the Hub area at the Magic Kingdom. In a move intended to help ease congestion problems, particularly around parade and fireworks times, the Hub is being remodeled in a manner similar to that used for Tokyo Disneyland. Mock-ups show that new pathways will allow guests to move to the front of the park without going down Main Street, including a path that leads all the way to the park exit without rejoining Main Street. The new pathways will also provide new viewing areas for castle shows and fireworks, in particular. In my opinion, this reconfiguration is overdue, and will make both the Hub and Main Street areas much more pleasant experiences at the end of a day in the Magic Kingdom. The Parks Blog posted a flyover animation of the reconfiguration – what do you think of it?
4. There’s still time to pre-register for the DISDads Dream Cruise 2015! As we await Disney Cruise Line’s release of itineraries for the second half of 2015, we are still planning on setting sail on Father’s Day – June 21, 2015. Pre-registration allows our travel partner, Fairytale Journeys, to ensure that you get booked at the best pricing possible for this cruise. We have eight families pre-registered so far, and have had inquiries from several more. The latest rumors I’ve heard suggest that we should get an itinerary release sometime around March 15, 2014, which is just a couple of weeks away. You can still sail with us, even if you don’t pre-register. But DCL pricing is almost always cheaper the closer to the itinerary release date that you get booked.
5. We are pleased to announce that DISDads Radio will be moving out of beta testing mode on March 15, 2014. And when we go live, we’ll have three excellent podcast partners streaming podcasts with us. The Enchanted Tiki Talk Podcast is a newer show that is off to a great start, and fits right in with the DISDads perspective on Disney. The ResortLoop.com podcast just recently posted their 101st episode, and is hosted by a pair of Disney Dads, Bob Coller and Tim Scott. I’ve been proud to call myself Loopy for months now! And finally, a podcast that I’ve been encouraging DISDads to listen to since way back on Episode 2 of the DISDads Podcast, The Disney Film Project Podcast, will be streaming its extensive back catalog as well as new shows on DISDads Radio.
What do you think about all of this Disney and DISDads.com news? Let us know in the comments below!