If the panel got it wrong, which resort should have won? Why? Did your favorite make it to the championship round?
Archive for DISDads Podcast
The Friday Five is back again, with a collection of news and notes as we head into the weekend:
1. Cinderella’s Royal Table is getting a two-month long refurbishment in early 2015. It’s currently scheduled to be closed from January 5, 2015 through March 6, 2015 (but as with any construction project, that re-opening date is just a best guess). I think most will agree that it’s about time CRT got a refresh. There’s no word from Walt Disney World about adding a temporary character meal elsewhere (as they did when they put colonial-dress characters in Liberty Tree Tavern while Crystal Palace got its refurb). I expect that the CRT closure will make it MUCH harder to get reservations at Akershus’ Princess Fairytale Dining and, to a somewhat lesser extent, 1900 Park Fare’s Cinderella’s Happily Ever After dinner, as those are the only “princess meal” alternatives. I also expect this to place a greater premium on Princess Fairytale Hall Fastpass+, since that’s one of the few alternatives for meeting multiple princesses at once.
2. Walt Disney World is adding several “Frozen”-themed entertainment opportunities at Disney’s Hollywood Studios as part of “Frozen” Summer Fun – LIVE, running from July 5, 2014 through September 1, 2015. Entertainment will include Olaf on Summer Vacation (which involves something called a Take-Along Olaf and social media-posted photos hashtagged #OlafSummerVacation). We don’t have much detail about this yet, but I’m guessing is sort of a “Flat Olaf” thing, like Flat Stanley; an Anna & Elsa parade (it doesn’t sound like it will include a meet & greet); “Frozen” sing-alongs throughout the day in the Premiere Theater; Soundstage One will become a “Frozen” playground and shop, including “Frozen”-themed snacks as well; a “Frozen” dance party at 5:30 p.m. each evening; and “Frozen”-themed fireworks at 9:45 p.m. each night, after Fantasmic! (Note that the evening events will not take place on August 23, when the park closes at 7:00 p.m. for the hard-ticket Villains Unleashed event).
3. Thanks to DISDads contributors Bob Chavez, Al Jardines, Ryan Treichler, Todd Breaux, Scott Henney, Justin West, Tony McDaniel and Andy Fix – it’s the participation of the community that makes this place special!
4. There’s still time to join us for the DISDads Dream Cruise. We’re sailing on the Disney Dream out of Port Canaveral, Florida from June 22-26, 2015. We’ve got a great group of DISDads families already booked, and would love to have more. Our travel partners at Fairytale Journeys would be happy to put together a no-obligation quote for you – book today and you’ll have over 9 months to finish paying for your vacation!
5. The final round of DISDads Podcast’s Bunk Madness Walt Disney World Resort hotel tournament will be LIVE this Sunday on DISDads Radio, starting at 8:00 p.m. We hope you’ll join us – there’s a chat room at DISDads Radio for live chatting and opportunities to call-in and talk with us on the show.
DISDads Podcast Episode 200 completes the regional rounds of the Walt Disney World Resort hotels tournament, narrowing down the field of hotels in the Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s Hollywood Studios areas. We’re now all set with our Final Four, from which a champion will be selected next Sunday, June 29 at 8:00 p.m. Central Time on a LIVE show on DISDads Radio.
What did you think of the the DAK/DHS round? Tell us about it – Email us at podcast@DisDads.com; tweet us at DisDadsPodcast on Twitter; join in the online discussion of the podcasts on our DISDads Discussion Boards; and check out our DISDads Podcast Facebook page.
If you enjoyed the podcast, please leave us a review on iTunes.
DISDads Podcast is also available on Stitcher Smart Radio.
The DAD Show is sponsored by Kingdom Strollers, Orlando’s Premium Stroller and Crib Rental source.
On this week’s DAD Show, Tony McDaniel talks about his family’s Spring Break trip to Walt Disney World, which included stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Pop Century, and BoardWalk Villas resorts.
Do you have any questions or comments about Tony’s trip? Want to share your vacation story with us? Email us at podcast@DisDads.com; tweet us at DisDadsPodcast on Twitter; and join in the online discussion of the podcasts on our DISDads Discussion Boards; and check out our new DISDads Podcast Facebook page.
If you enjoyed the podcast, we’d really appreciate it if you took a moment to leave us a review on iTunes.
Our Podcasts are also available on Stitcher Smart Radio.
Which is your favorite to win the DHS/DAK Bunk Madness Regional Round?
- Animal Kingdom Lodge (52%, 14 Votes)
- Pop Century (26%, 7 Votes)
- Coronado Springs Resort (11%, 3 Votes)
- Art of Animation (11%, 3 Votes)
- All-Stars (Movies, Music, Sports) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 27
Remember to consider the value for your dollar, as well as the particular amenities, dining options, décor, etc. of the resorts. Help ensure that your interests are considered by the podcast panel when it votes by telling us which resort you voted for and why in the comments below.
1) I’m taking my family to see DreamWorks Animation’s How to Train Your Dragon 2 tonight (watch for a review here at DISDads.com soon). We all loved the original, and even enjoyed the How to Train Your Dragon shorts that came out with the HTTYD DVD (especially the Legend of the Boneknapper). I have avoided the early press on HTTYD 2, so that I go in to see it with a blank slate. But I have to admit, my expectations aren’t particularly high. The Shrek sequels were very uneven, and got worse over time. We’ll see how How To Train Your Dragon holds up to a second go-round. Anyone else going to see it opening weekend?
2) I’m seeing reports all over the Disney fan community that indicate that the Garden Grill rotating restaurant in the Land Pavilion at Epcot has not actually rotated since at least November, 2013. That means that a key element of the restaurant’s décor has been out of order for more than six months now. I don’t know that it’s a huge deal that it’s not rotating – it seemed to me that guests were split about 50/50 over whether the rotating was something they liked about it or something that they tolerated and enjoyed the restaurant in spite of – but it is disturbing that the only reason we know about this is that fellow theme park guests are posting about it on message boards. Disney hasn’t said anything publicly about the restaurant not rotating. Even if they don’t have a target repair date, it’s misleading to guests considering booking the restaurant to fail to publicly acknowledge this ongoing issue.
3) In case you didn’t notice, DISDads.com has published new content every day for over a week now. We’re making a real effort to keep the content flowing and fresh around here, and it wouldn’t be possible without the participation of the DISDads community. Shoutouts this week for website contributions from Ryan Treichler, Andy Fix, David Juart and Jon Arthur; and for podcast participation by Todd Breaux, Scott Henney, Justin West, Michael Williams, and Adam Dale. Thank you guys!
4) Twitter shoutouts this week go to John Scanlan and Chris Schenk. John gave us a big hand, filling in at the last minute on the Bunk Madness Magic Kingdom Area live show. We’re looking forward to talking with him on the podcast again soon to learn more about Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campgrounds. And Chris honored us with his suggestion that the DISDads Podcast was one of the podcast teams he’d like to go out an have a drink with. Any chance you’ll be at Walt Disney World over Marathon Weekend 2015 Chris?
5) Completely random thought, prompted by the ongoing Bunk Madness tournament on the podcast. If you could choose the location for a new Walt Disney World resort, where would you put it? Tell us about it in the comments.
Happy Father’s Day to my fellow DISDads, and have a great weekend!