MickeyPopsThe week before the DISDads Convention was a crazy whirlwind. I’ve got a trial next week and depositions the week after, so I was scrambling at work to get ready to be out of town for a week just before all of that. Miriam was at least as busy with work. The kids started the second semester of school. Mikaela had doctor’s appointments and physical therapy for her leg injury. On Saturday, we checked the weather report, pulled out clothes to pack – and started on all of the laundry that was going to have to get done before we had all we needed. Then, Sunday, when the laundry was finally done, we double-checked the weather report and found that it had been revised. It was going to be substantially warmer for the entire trip – so we pretty much had to re-pack.

All of this is prologue to the fact that I posted that picture of the Mickey Pop treats (that Miriam insisted on making herself) at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday night. It had been a long day, so we decided to just go to bed. Our plane wasn’t until around Noon on Monday – there would be plenty of time to take care of those last minute details in the morning.

Morning arrived later than it should have. We hadn’t set an alarm, and were all pretty tired after the scrambling the day before. And that was just the beginning. It seemed that everything that could possibly go wrong/delay us did. We were finally just about done with the last of the packing, and Miriam went to move the box of goody bags over with the rest of the luggage – which is when I noticed that the bottom of the box was not taped, and the whole thing was about to collapse. Of course we were out of packing tape, so we had to make a quick run to the store. And then my office called. And then Miriam’s client called in a panic. And we couldn’t find one of the pads for Mikaela’s crutches. And then I glanced up at the clock and said, “EVERYBODY INTO THE CAR NOW!” (OK, maybe it wasn’t quite that dramatic in real life. But that’s how it went in my head). The clock said 10:45 a.m. We live about 45 minutes from the airport. And our flight was scheduled to leave at 12:20 p.m. We were looking at getting to the airport less than an hour before our flight with one child on crutches, three large suitcases, a half-dozen carry-on bags, and a large box of goody bags.

On the way, I decided that our usual long-term parking was not going to be an option. The extra cost was going to be worth actually making the flight. Luckily, the Kansas City airport has REALLY close terminal parking. In the most impressive logistical sequence my family has ever pulled off, we arrived at the airport about 50 minutes before take-off, got the large bags (and the box) checked at curbside check-in, got through the security line, and literally walked (well, Mikaela crutched) right onto the plane.

As I sat down on the plane, I realized that the one thing I’d forgotten was the free drink coupons SWA had conveniently sent to me just the week before. And it was only seconds after I realized that that the flight attendant announced that they needed a volunteer to give up a seat so a child could sit with his parent. I was already starting to raise my hand to volunteer when the flight attendant added, “and whoever volunteers gets free drinks fo the whole flight.” Well, at that point, I didn’t even bother to ask whether Miriam minded if I moved a few rows from her and the kids. 🙂

A couple of free Bloody Marys and in-flight WiFi access made it the least-uncomfortable middle-seat I’ve ever sat in.

Next up: Parking, POP, and Puck

Malcare WordPress Security