by David Juart
Fact of the Day: it’s warm in Florida during the summer. Ok, that might be an understatement. Ninety plus degrees and (cue Dr. Evil) ONE HUNDRED BILLION percent humidity makes for a rough afternoon, even for seasoned Disney summer veterans like myself. Obviously the best tip to beat the heat is to arrive early, break often and have a plan. Afternoons at the pool help avoid the heat and the crowds alike. But what happens if you’re party is stuck in the park waiting for, say, Beauty AND the Beast to start signing autographs at 2:30 PM? Or your Toy Story Midway Mania Fastpass window opens at 3:15 PM? Yes, you could peruse a shop or two or take a nap during Ellen’s Energy Adventure, but luckily, there are attraction options that will provide relief and allow you to cross something off your to do list.
5. It’s Tough to be a Bug (Animal Kingdom) – You want the truth? I needed to put something on the list from Animal Kingdom. It beat out Finding Nemo the Musical and Festival of the Lion King because it’s continuous and centrally located. The queue is outside and rather long, but is shaded and offers the Tree of Life as some eye candy to pass the time.
4. The Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom) – Although the entirety of the queue at HM is outside, there’s nothing like walking into an overly darkened room and being blasted by forty degree air, knowing it’s going to continue for the next 15 – 18 minutes. Plus you’re enjoying one of the hallowed attractions at Magic Kingdom, and if you’re extremely overheated, you could volunteer to be the 1,000th happy haunt. Just sayin’.
3. Rock-n-Roller Coaster Single Rider Line (Disney’s Hollywood Studios) – A roller coaster? Really? Yes, really. By jumping into the single riders’ line, you bypass the exterior queue and find yourself in blissful AC, preparing to take the limo ride of a lifetime. Add that the attraction is one of DHS’s Big Four, and this turns into a great use of time while escaping the oppressive Florida heat.
2. The Great Movie Ride (Disney’s Hollywood Studios) – Unless you find yourself in the overflow queue, the entirety of your Great Movie Ride experience is in climate controlled heaven. I personally love this ride. From the movie trailers playing while you queue, to the “story within the story” as you ride, you really can’t beat this DHS classic as a cool station.
1. The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends (Epcot) – This attraction, by far, has the most to offer while escaping the heat, especially for those with little ones. First, you enter through a completely air conditioned queue to help find Nemo in your clamobile, exiting into a huge aquarium with tons to see and do. Add Turtle Talk with Crush to the list, and you have upwards of an hour of heat-beating entertainment.
Those are my Top Five, but for sure there are more! What are your favorite attractions to help beat the heat while visiting WDW? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter @DisDadsPodcast, or you can tweet me directly @dpjuart.